H&M in Indonesia
Name: Jessica Wilhelmsson
Title: Country Manager Production Indonesia
Company name: H&M
Company headquarters: Stockholm, Sweden
1. What is your business/business model?
We are the representative office of H&M Production located in Jakarta.
2. What is your business/business model in Indonesia specifically?
H&M is one of the world's largest fashion retailers and we source part of our assortment from independent suppliers in Indonesia.
3. How long has your company had a presence in Indonesia?
We have had a representative office here for more than 2 decades.
4. As a foreigner working in Indonesia, what do you need to think about?
I think anywhere you go you need to have an understanding of the local context and culture. Once you have that you can start to connect and fuel your company culture and values side by side. The right mix will give you the local market understanding while driving business as per your company’s direction and values. Don’t give up when you look for local talents to fit your need – they are out there. You just need to attract, develop, and retain them.
5. What are some trends in the Indonesian market that you think are noteworthy/that you are excited about?
It is such a dynamic place altogether. The huge and young population of the nation gives opportunities both for the labor-intensive industries but it is also the home of a large and very digital middle class. The excitement is just that – retail and sourcing potential both.
6. Why did you decide to become a member of NordCham Indonesia?
I saw a missing piece amongst the Swedish and moreover Nordic companies. If I would say one thing I hope to achieve better by being a member it is to enable the Sustainability strategy that H&M Group has. And I know it can only be achieved through partnership and hopefully, some partnerships can be made in this community.
7. How can your company help Nordic companies in Indonesia?
Thanks to our long presence here we have a good network in sourcing obviously. Also, we have been driving a social and environmental sustainability agenda since day one so advocacy and partnerships in that area are embedded in our team here.
8. How can members reach out to you?
Email as a first introduction is preferred.
9. Favorite past-time activity in Jakarta? Or Most underestimated Jakarta restaurant/bar in your opinion?
Oh, I am a mother of young kids so might not be that up to date on the bar scene. What I love is the live music scene and especially DIA who plays in Ivy (in non-COVID times..). Go and enjoy!